TLP-UPSC Mains Answer Writing
2. The role of media has changed in recent years. There is an acute dearth of independent and unbiased journalism. What makes the situation worse is the rampant misuse of media to polarise the society. Comment. (10 Marks)
हाल के वर्षों में मीडिया की भूमिका बदल गई है। स्वतंत्र और निष्पक्ष पत्रकारिता का घोर अभाव है। समाज का ध्रुवीकरण करने के लिए मीडिया के बड़े पैमाने पर दुरुपयोग ने स्थिति को बदतर बना दिया है। टिप्पणी करें।
Students are expected to give basic information on role of media and then comment on changing role of media with advent of new age social media and different apps. How it created yellow journalism and polarised the situation.
The role of the media is vital as a watchdog for uncovering errors and wrongdoings in the democracy. Media provides the platform for people tend to discuss & debate news over any topics. This interaction of people from varied backgrounds strengthens civil engagement in society.
Changing role of media:
- Fake news: Fake news is not a new phenomenon which is linked to the rise of social media. The emerging threat of fake news could have an unprecedented impact on election cycle, raising serious questions about the integrity of democratic elections, policy-making and our society at large.
- Use of tech: Computational propaganda is the use of algorithms, automation, and human curation to purposefully distribute misleading information over social media networks.
- Unable to balance competing interests: Media companies have been unable to balance the national security concerns with the capitalist motivations of profit.
- Half-baked Opinions: Media anchors for increasing viewership can comment on law and order and national security matters without responsibility.
- Intolerance to Contrary views: One of the most common criticisms of embedded journalism or media is that it creates echo chambers where people only see viewpoints they agree with further driving us apart for polarization.
Making situation worse:
- With the advent of social media, technological changes, the reach of media has grown profoundly. Its reach and role in impacting public opinion have made it even more important worse.
- The sensationalism-driven reporting compromised the identities of rape victims and survivors despite SC guidelines.
- Fake news, yellow journalism are important concerns which are influencing public and impacting national security. For instance, fear mongering through media has led to mob lynchings, attacks on the migrant population.
In developing countries like India, the media have a great responsibility to fight backward ideas such as casteism and communalism and help the people in their struggle against poverty and other social evils. Hence, having journalistic ethics in place becomes very important.
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…