Launch of State Energy and Climate Index Round- 1 by NITI Aayog
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III: Energy
Context: Ranks the states’ performance on 6 parameters, namely
- DISCOM’s Performance
- Access, Affordability and Reliability of Energy
- Clean Energy Initiatives
- Energy Efficiency
- Environmental Sustainability
- New Initiatives
The parameters are further divided into 27 indicators. Based on the composite SECI Round I score, the states and UTs are categorized into three groups: Front Runners, Achievers, and Aspirants.
- Synergy and partnership among the Centre and the States will be critical for achieving energy and climate-related goals and making the country self-reliant in the energy sector.
- There is a need to develop a robust mechanism for capturing data so that it can be incorporated in future editions of the report.
- There is a need to convert our efforts towards achieving the ‘Panchamrit’ targets into a peoples’ movement. In order to do this, the role of the States is going to be critical. Governance innovation and mutual learning by states shall go a long way in improving outcomes and SECI Round I is the right step in this direction.
- Achieving the ambitious climate targets would require a conducive policy environment to encourage investment.
News Source: PIB
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…