Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PM-GKAY)
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS II – Policies and interventions
In News: In keeping with the concern and sensitivity towards poor and vulnerable sections of society, the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PM-GKAY) scheme has been extended for another six months i.e., till September 2022 (Phase VI).
- PM-GKAY has been under implementation since April 2020, as the largest food security program in the world.
- The Government has spent approximately Rs. 2.60 Lakh Crore so far and another Rs. 80,000 Crore will be spent over the next 6 months till September 2022 taking the total expenditure under PM-GKAY to nearly Rs. 3.40 Lakh Crore.
- This will cover nearly 80 crore beneficiaries across India and like before would be fully funded by the Government of India.
What is Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana?
- Forms a part of Atmanirbhar Bharat to supply free food grains to migrants and the poor.
- 5 kg free wheat/rice per person / month along with 1 kg free whole chana to each family per month.
- This is over and above the regular monthly entitlements under National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA).
- Beneficiaries included Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) and Priority Household (PHH) cardholders.
News Source: PIB