In News: Ukrainian President said the – Incessant bombardment has turned Ukraine’s Donbas region into hell
- Ukrainian government received a fresh boost as the U.S. Congress approved a $40 billion aid package, including funds to enhance Ukraine’s armoured vehicle fleet and air defence system.
- Russian Defence Minister said Moscow was nearing full control of Ukraine’s eastern separatist region of Luhansk
- Russian military sent troops to Ukraine on February 24 under the guise of protecting the Russian-speaking population there, especially in the breakaway regions of Luhansk and Donetsk
- Russia recognised the independence of the separatist republics shortly before launching the military action.
- Russia claimed control of the strategic city in southeastern Ukraine in late April, keeping the remaining Ukrainian forces blocked inside the giant steel plant.
- Ukrainian authorities in early May attempted to retake the strategic Snake Island in the Black Sea that was seized by Russian troops early in the conflict
Donbas and Luhansk
- The Donbass region, comprising the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts of Ukraine, has been at the centre of the conflict since March 2014 when Moscow (Russia) invaded and annexed the Crimean Peninsula.
Previous Year Questions (PYQs)
Q.1) Consider the following pairs:
Sea: Bordering country
- Adriatic Sea: Albania
- Black Sea: Croatia
- Caspian Sea: Kazakhstan
- Mediterranean Sea: Morocco
- Red Sea: Syria
Which of the pairs given above are correctly matched?
- 1, 2 and 4 only
- 1, 3 and 4 only
- 2 and 5 only
- 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
Source: The Hindu