Indian Polity & Constitution
In News: The Centre has reconstituted the Inter-State Council
- Headed by the PM, the Council will comprise six Union ministers, besides the Chief Ministers of the 28 states and UTs with a legislature, and administrators of UTs without a legislature.
- It will also have 10 Union ministers as permanent invitees.
- The government has also reconstituted the standing committee of the Council, with Union Home Minister as it chairman
- According to Article 263 of the Indian Constitution, an Inter-State Council (ISC) may be constituted “if it seems to the President at any time that the public interests would be served by the creation of a Council.”
- It was set up in 1990 through a presidential ordinance for the first time as per the recommendations of the Sarkaria Commission under the Ministry of Home affairs.
- The interstate council is proposed to meet thrice a year. But in 26 years, it has met only 11 times. The latest meeting was held after a gap of 10 years in Delhi in July 2016.
Inter-State Council Composition
- Prime Minister acts as the chairman of the council.
- Union Ministers of Cabinet rank in the Union
- Council of Ministers nominated by the Prime Minister.
- Chief Ministers of all states
- Chief Ministers of Union Territories having a Legislative Assembly
- Administrators of UTs not having a Legislative Assembly
- Governors of the states being administered under President’s rule
Functions of Inter-State Council
- Inter-State Council is a recommendatory body with duties to investigate and discuss the subjects of common interest between the Union and State(s) or among the States, making recommendations particularly for better coordination of policy and action on these subjects and deliberating upon such other matters of general interest to the States which may be referred to it by its Chairman
- Making suggestions on any such subject, for the better coordination of policy and action with respect to that subject.
Previous Year Questions (PYQs)
Q.1) Who among the following constitute the National Development Council? (2013)
- The Prime Minister
- The Chairman, Finance Commission
- Ministers of the Union Cabinet
- Chief Ministers of the States
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
- 1, 2 and 3 only
- 1, 3 and 4 only
- 2 and 4 only
- 1, 2, 3 and 4
Source: The Hindu & Indian Express
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…