- Prelims – Current Affairs
In News: India lifts first-ever Thomas Cup after 3-0 wins over Indonesia
- A determined Indian men’s team etched its name in the history books by lifting the Thomas Cup title for the first time with a dominant 3-0 win over 14-time champions Indonesia in the final.
- India dished out a performance for the ages with World Championships medallist Lakshya Sen, Kidambi Srikanth and world number 8 doubles duo of Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy producing memorable performances.
- The Thomas Cup, sometimes called the World Men’s Team Championships, is an international badminton competition among teams representing member nations of the Badminton World Federation (BWF), the sport’s global governing body.
- The championships have been conducted every two years since 1982, amended from being conducted every three years since the first tournament held in 1948–1949.
Previous Year Questions (PYQs)
Q.1) Consider the following statements in respect of the Laureus World Sports Award which was instituted in the year 2000:
- American golfer Tiger Woods was the first winner of this award.
- The award has been received mostly by ‘Formula One’ players so far.
- Roger Federer received this award the maximum number of times compared to others.
Select the correct code:
- 1 and 2 Only
- 2 and 3 Only
- 1 and 3 Only
- 1, 2 and 3
Source: Indian Express