In News: The GoI unveiled its new Agnipath scheme for recruiting soldiers across the three services
- The soldiers recruited under the scheme will be called Agniveers.
What is the Agnipath scheme?
- Under the new scheme, around 45,000 to 50,000 soldiers will be recruited annually, and most will leave the service in just four years.
- Of the total annual recruits, only 25 percent will be allowed to continue for another 15 years under permanent commission.
What is the eligibility criterion?
- The new system is only for personnel below officer ranks
- Under the Agnipath scheme, aspirants between the ages of 17.5 years and 21 years will be eligible to apply.
- The recruitment standards will remain the same, and recruitment will be done twice a year through rallies.
What happens after selection?
- Once selected, the aspirants will go through training for six months and then will be deployed for three and a half years.
- During this period, they will get a starting salary of Rs 30,000, along with additional benefits which will go up to Rs 40,000 by the end of the four-year service.
- 30 per cent of their salary will be set aside under a Seva Nidhi programme, and the government will contribute an equal amount every month, and it will also accrue interest.
- At the end of the four-year period, each soldier will get Rs 11.71 lakh as a lump sum amount, which will be tax-free.
- They will also get an Rs 48 lakh life insurance cover for the four years.
- In case of death, the payout will be over Rs 1 crore, including pay for the unserved tenure.
- For those who are re-selected, the initial four-year period will not be considered for retirement benefits.
- Recruitment will begin within 90 days under the scheme which will bring “all India, all class” recruitment to the services.
- The average age in the forces is 32 years today, which will go down to 26 in six to seven years, the scheme envisions.
- It will create “future-ready” soldiers
- This is especially significant for the Army, where the regiment system has region and caste bases, and with time that will be eliminated to allow anybody from any caste, region, class or religious background to become part of existing regiments.
- The move will make the permanent force levels much leaner for the over 13-lakh strong armed forces in the country.
- This will, in turn, considerably reduce the defence pension bill, which has been a major concern for governments for many years.
- It will increase employment opportunities and because of the skills and experience acquired during the four-year service such soldiers will get employment in various fields.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) With reference to Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana, consider the following statements: (2018)
- It is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- It, among other things will also impart training in soft skills, entrepreneurship, financial and digital literacy.
- It aims to align the competencies of the unregulated workforce of the country to the National Skill Qualification Framework.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 and 3 only
- 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1, 2, and 3
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…