In News: The centre has given a one-year extension to Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba.
- Gauba, former Union Home Secretary, was in 2019 appointed to the country’s top bureaucratic post for two years.
- This is his second extension on the post. He was given a one-year extension in August last year.
- The Cabinet Secretary is the top-most executive official and senior-most civil servant of the Government of India.
- She/he is the ex-officio head of the Civil Services Board, the Cabinet Secretariat, the IAS, and all civil services under the rules of business of the government.
- She/he ranks eleventh on the Indian order of precedence.
- She/he is under the direct charge of the PM and is appointed for a fixed tenure of two years.
- The Cabinet Secretariat is responsible for the administration of the Transaction of Business and the Allocation of Business Rules 1961.
- She/he facilitates smooth transaction of business in Ministries/ Departments of the Government.
This Secretariat provides:
- Secretarial assistance to the Cabinet and its Committees
- Assists in decision-making in Government by ensuring Inter-Ministerial coordination ,
- Ironing out differences amongst Ministries/ Departments
- Evolving consensus through the instrumentality of the standing/ adhoc Committees of Secretaries
- In 2019 All India Services (Death-Cum-Retirement-Benefits) Rules, 1958, was amended by Government to provide extension.
- According to All India Services (Death-Cum-Retirement-Benefits) Rules, 1958, the government can give extension in service to a cabinet secretary provided the total tenure does not exceed four years.
- As per the modified rules, the central government may give an extension in service for a further period not exceeding three months, beyond the period of four years to a cabinet secretary.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Which of the following is/are the function/functions of the Cabinet Secretariat? (2014)
- Preparation of agenda for Cabinet Meetings
- Secretarial assistance to Cabinet Committees
- Allocation of financial resources to the Ministries
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- 1 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 2 only
- 1, 2 and 3
Q.2) Consider the following statements: (2016)
- The Chief Secretary in a State is appointed by the Governor of that State.
- The Chief Secretary in a State has a fixed tenure.
Which of the statements given above is / are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2