In News: After the success of the Co-WIN platform, the government is looking to repurpose the technology for various healthcare cases.
- CoWIN is currently being repurposed for the universal immunisation program (UIP).
- It will bring the ease of discovery of vaccination centres/camps and reminders for subsequent vaccinations for preventable diseases for mothers.
- The addition of digitally verifiable certificates for routine immunisation would be the first of its kind globally and a great way to start building longitudinal health records for a child right from its birth.
- In addition to immunisation, the platform would also be considered for the use-cases of blood donation and organ donation in the months to come.
Co-WIN App (Covid Vaccine Intelligence Network)
- The technology has been integral to India’s fight against COVID-19 and the CoWIN platform was developed in no time, leveraging experience in developing and implementing large scale applications such as Aadhaar, UPI, GST, etc
- Co-WIN, a cloud-based IT platform, is supposed to handle minute details for India’s Covid-19 immunisation programme, including registering beneficiaries, allocating vaccination centres, sending text messages with name of their vaccinator to beneficiaries and live monitoring of vials in cold storage.
- The Co-WIN platform is owned by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and was earlier the platform used for conducting Pulse Polio and other crucial immunisation programmes across the country.
- The same platform has been expanded for distribute Covid-19 vaccines and the Ministry of Electronics and IT along with the National Informatics Centre are handling the backend and the tech infrastructure for it.
- Monitoring and tracking – It enables monitoring the inoculation drive and tracking the listed beneficiaries for vaccination on a real-time basis.
- Thus, it also helps to counter proxy vaccinations.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Consider the following: (2022)
- Aarogya Setu
Which of the above are built on top of open-source digital platforms?
- 1 and 2 only
- 2, 3 and 4 only
- 1, 3 and 4 only
- 1, 2, 3 and 4