Context: The Dadasaheb Phalke Award for 2020 will be conferred on veteran actress Asha Parekh
About the Award:
- It is presented annually by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- The award is considered the highest honour in the Indian film fraternity.
- It is awarded for outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian cinema.
- The award was instituted by the government in 1969, and consists of a ‘Swarna Kamal’, a cash prize of INR 10 lakh, a certificate, a silk roll, and a shawl.
- The award is presented by the President of India.
- The first recipient of the award was Devika Rani Roerich in 1969.
About Dhundiraj Govind ‘Dadasaheb’ Phalke:
- He was born in 1870 at Trimbak in Maharashtra.
- He studied engineering and sculpture and developed an interest in motion pictures after watching the 1906 silent film The Life of Christ.
- Before venturing into films, Phalke worked as a photographer, owned a printing press, and had even worked with the famed painter Raja Ravi Varma.
- In 1913, Phalke wrote, produced, and directed India’s first feature film, the silent Raja Harishchandra.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following statements in respect of the Bharat Ratna and Padma Awards.
- Bharat Ratna and Padma Awards are titles under Article 18(1) of the Constitution of India.
- Padma Awards, which were instituted in the year 1954, were suspended only once.
- The number of Bharat Ratna Awards is restricted to a maximum of five in a particular year.
Which of the above statements are not correct? (2021)
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3