Context: According to a recent study released by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI, India ranks fourth among 12 Indo-Pacific nations in self-reliant arms production capabilities.
- The 12 countries in the study were selected because they have the highest military spending in the region- Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
- China tops the list, Japan is second, South Korea is in third place, and Pakistan is at number 8.
- India is ranked as the second largest importer of arms for its armed forces in 2016-20.
Indian Companies & suppliers:
- Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, Indian Ordnance Factories, Bharat Electronics, Mazagaon Docks and Cochin Shipyard are among the major Indian arms servicing companies.
- Ashok Leyland, one of the largest suppliers of trucks to the Indian Army, is the only company ranked in the top 50 in the Indo-Pacific.
Aatmanirbhar in defence production:
- Under the Defence Acquisition Procedure 2020, ‘Make’ Category aims to achieve self-reliance by involving greater participation of Indian industry.
- Projects involving design and development of equipment, systems, major platforms or upgrades thereof by the industry can be taken up under this category.
- The Ministry of Defence will provide financial support up to 70% of the total cost of prototype development.
- It is funded by industry with assured procurement. The following platform has been listed – Anti-jamming Systems for Multiple Platforms.
Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) Model:
- Under this, private industry will be encouraged to take up the design and development of military platforms and equipment in collaboration with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and other organisations.
- Following two platforms have been identified under this category.
- Long Range Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) [High Altitude Long Endurance (HALE)].
- Indian Multi Role Helicopter (IMRH).
- Projects of Start-ups, MSMEs etc. involving high-end innovation would be pursued under the iDEX category and the following platform has been selected under this category –
- Low Orbit Pseudo Satellites.
Source: Indian Express