In News: In a first in the country, Tamil Nadu government notified Kaduvur Slender Loris sanctuary under Section 26 (A)(1)(b) of Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
- The Kadavur Slender Loris sanctuary is to cover 11,806 hectares in Karur and Dindigul districts.
About Slender Lois:
- Slender Loris that are small nocturnal mammals are arboreal in nature as they spend most of their life on trees.
- The species acts as a biological predator of pests in agricultural crops and benefits farmers.
- Slender Loris has a wide range of ecological roles to play in the terrestrial ecosystem.
- The survival of the species depends on its habitat improvement, conservation efforts and mitigation of threats.
- IUCN status: Endangered
Conservation measures in TN:
- Tamil Nadu government notified India’s first Dugong Conservation Reserve in Palk Bay, Kazhuveli bird sanctuary in Villupuram and Nanjarayan Tank birds’ sanctuary in Tiruppur and the State’s fifth elephant reserve at Agasthyamalai in Tirunelveli.
- Further, 13 wetlands across the State were declared as Ramsar sites.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Question
Q.1) With reference to ‘dugong’, a mammal found in India, which of the following statements is/are correct?(2015)
- It is a herbivorous marine animal.
- It is found along the entire coast of India.
- It is given legal protection under Schedule I of the Wildlife (Protection) Act; 1972.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- 1 and 2
- 2 only
- 1 and 3
- 3 only