Context: Flagging the need to revive consumption demand in the economy, the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has urged the government to reduce personal income tax rates to increase households’ spending power in Union Budget 2023-23, slash the 28% GST rate on some consumer durables, and engender job creation in the hinterland.
- It is a non-government, not-for-profit, industry-led and industry-managed organization.
- It was founded in 1895,its headquarters is in New Delhi.
- It works to create and sustain an environment conducive to the development of India, partnering industry, Government and civil society, through advisory and consultative processes.
Initiatives by CCI: CII has embarked on smarter initiatives that enhance competitiveness of Indian industry by underlining the need for rapid up gradation on parameters like quality, corporate governance, knowledge management, energy efficiency and environment management.
- Specialised Services Division aims to provide solutions to organisations not just for their competitiveness needs, but also to help them become more self-reliant by helping them develop flexible strategies that cater to changing needs.
- Corporate Services Group assists companies maximise corporate and shareholder value through a range of activities covering : Consulting, Research Projects, Knowledge Based Events and Research Papers.
- Energy Management Division provides its expertise to domestic as well as overseas organisations. The range of services offered includes : comprehensive energy audits, in-house and centre-wise intensive training programmes, specific energy consumption norms, ‘Energy Conservation (Encon)‘ missions and international conferences / exhibitions on trends in energy efficiency.
- Environment Management Division facilitates the utilisation of national and international expertise through seminars, workshops and training programmes.
- It undertakes a wide range of programmes & awareness activities covering legal and technical aspects including design and implementation of Environment Management systems, Pollution Prevention and Waste Minimization Initiatives, Green Supply Chain Management, Environmental Performance Evaluation, Strategic Environmental Assessment, Sustainable Development and Environmental Planning, Hazardous Waste Management, Site Feasibility Assessment etc. are some of the other services offered.
- Green Services Division operates through the Green Business Centre (CII-GBC), offering niche Green Services to Indian industry.
- The objective of the CII-GBC is to promote Green Concepts leading to sustainable development, efficiency and equitable growth.
- Services offered : Green Process Certification, Green Building Certification (advisory services on construction of green buildings and award of Green Building certificate), Technology Centres, Training Programmes on Green related topics and business incubation facilitating entrepreneurs in developing and marketing new and innovative green products for commercialisation.
- Technology Services Division offers the following services to members : Technology Audit, Technology Export, technology transfer and problem solving skills from R&D and academic institutions (through CII TDB Technology Transfer Centres).
- CII’s Social Development and Community Affairs Council (SDCA) has pledged the allegiance of all members, taking the ‘More for India’ slogan to their boardroom agenda.
- SDCA’s various initiatives cover issues like education, child rehabilitation, women empowerment, rural development, human rights, population, healthcare and the control of HIV/AIDS.
- Through the Brand India Campaign, CII strives to Build Brand salience for India by positioning it as a “Globally Competitive and sound Investment destination and as a Reliable Partner to do business with.”
- The Integrity India Campaign takes on the challenge of “working to improve probity in public life by putting the issue of Integrity on the front burner”.
Source: The Hindu