In News: India wins EXCELL Awards-2022 at International Conference on Family Planning held in Pattaya city, Thailand.
- India the only country to have received the award in ‘country’ category.
About the award:
- The International Conference on Family Planning (ICFP) has served as a strategic inflection point for the global reproductive health community, providing a global stage for more than 120 countries worldwide, organizations, and individuals to make important commitments and celebrate achievements as the world’s largest scientific conclave on family planning and reproductive health.
- It recognizes and applauds India’s achievements in ensuring increased access and adoption of modern contraceptive methods and significantly reducing unmet needs for family planning.
- It is a step towards ensuring access to quality family planning choices based on right information & reliable services.
- As per National Family Health Survey (NFHS) 5 data
- Overall Contraceptive Prevalence Rate (CPR) has increased substantially from 54 percent to 67 percent in the country,
- Unmet needs of family planning have witnessed a significant decline from 13 per cent to 9 per cent. The unmet need for spacing has also come down to less than 10 per cent.
- 68% modern method contraceptive users obtain their method from the public health sector.
- The total ‘demand satisfied’ for family planning among currently married women aged 15-49 in India increased from 66 percent in 2015-16 to 76 percent in 2019-21 which has already crossed the SDG target of 75 set globally for 2030.
- Mission Parivar Vikas is one of the government’s flagship programmes, to reduce unmet needs in family planning