Context: The ground is shaking and swelling at Mauna Loa, the largest active volcano in the world, indicating that it could erupt.
About Mauna Loa:
- Mauna Loa is one of five volcanoes that together make up the Big Island of Hawaii, which is the southernmost island in the Hawaiian archipelago.
- It’s not the tallest (that title goes to Mauna Kea) but it’s the largest and makes up about half of the island’s land mass.
- Mauna Loa last erupted 38 years ago.
- In written history, dating to 1843, it’s erupted 33 times.
- Mauna Loa has a much larger magma reservoir than Kilauea, which may allow it to hold more lava and rest longer between eruptions than Kilauea.
- Hawaii volcanoes like Mauna Loa tend not to have explosion eruptions.
- That’s because their magma is hotter, drier and more fluid.
- The gas in the magma of Hawaii’s volcanoes tends to escape, and so lava flows down the side of their mountains when they erupt.
- Hawaii’s volcanoes are called shield volcanoes because successive lava flows over hundreds of thousands of years build broad mountains that resemble the shape of a warrior’s shield.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following pairs:
Region often mentioned in the news: Country
- Anatolia Turkey
- Amhara Ethiopia
- Cabo Delgado Spain
- Catalonia Italy
How many pairs given above are correctly matched?
- Only one pair
- Only two pairs
- Only three pairs
- All four pairs
Q.2) Consider the following pairs:
Town sometime mentioned in news Country
- Aleppo Syria
- Kirkuk Yemen
- Mosul Palestine
- Mazar-i-Sharif Afghanistan
Which of the pairs given above are correctly matched? (2018)
- 1 and 2
- 1 and 4
- 2 and 3
- 3 and 4