Context: The last date for submission of applications for NMMSS for the year 2022-23 is 30th November 2022.
About National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme:
- It is the Central Sector Scheme which was launched in 2008, after getting approval from CCEA, with the objective to award scholarships to meritorious students of economically weaker sections to arrest their drop out at class VIII and encourage them to continue their education at secondary stage.
- One lakh fresh scholarships are awarded to selected students of class IX every year and their continuation / renewal in classes X to XII for study in State Government, Government-aided and Local body schools under the scheme.
- The amount of scholarship is Rs. 12000/- per annum from 1st April 2017 (earlier it was Rs. 6000/- per annum).
- Eligibility : Students whose parental income from all sources is not more than Rs. 3,50,000/- per annum are eligible to avail the scholarships.
- The students must have a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grade in Class VII examination for appearing in the selection test for award of scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST students).
- The students should be studying as regular student in a Government, Government-aided and local body school.
- Students of NVS, KVS and residential schools are not entitled for the scholarship. There is reservation as per State Government norms.
- Disbursal of Scholarship: The scheme is fully on board the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) from 2018-19.
- NMMSS scholarships are disbursed directly into the bank accounts of selected students by electronic transfer through the Public Financial Management System (PFMS) following DBT mode.