Context: The Geographical Indications Registry has received an application from the Tribal Development Council, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, seeking the Geographical Indication (GI) tag for the Nicobari Hodi craft. This is the first application from the Union Territory seeking a tag for one of its products.
About Nicobari Hodi Craft:
- The hodi is the Nicobari tribe’s traditional craft.
- It is an outrigger canoe, very commonly operated in the Nicobar group of islands.
- The technical skills for building a hodi are based on indigenous knowledge inherited by the Nicobarese from their forefathers.
- The hodi is built using either locally available trees or from nearby islands, and its design varies slightly from island to island.
- The tuhet, a group of families under a headman, consider the hodi an asset. Hodi races are held between islands and villages.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Question
Q.1) With reference to India, the terms ‘Halbi, Ho and Kui’ pertain to (2022)
- dance forms of Northwest India
- musical instruments
- pre-historic cave paintings
- tribal languages