Context: Recently, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has launched 2 key initiatives: City Finance Rankings 2022 and City Beauty Competition.
About City Finance Rankings 2022
- To evaluate, recognize and reward urban local bodies (ULBs) on basis of their strength across 15 indicators and 3 financial parameters: resource mobilization, expenditure performance and fiscal governance systems.
- Evaluation will be done on the basis of quality of current financial health and improvement with time in financial performance.
- Cities will be ranked at national level on the basis of their scores under following four population categories-
- Above 4 million.
- Between 1-4 million.
- 100K to 1 million.
- Less than 100,000.
- Top 3 cities in each population category will be rewarded.
- It will help ULBs to identify areas in their financial performance where they can make improvements and able to deliver quality infrastructure and services to its citizens.
- Rankings will motivate city/state officials and decision makers, to implement municipal finance reforms.
About City Beauty Competition:
- To encourage and recognize transformational efforts made by cities and wards in India to create beautiful, innovative and inclusive public spaces.
- Wards and public places of cities would be judged against five pillars-
- Aesthetics and
- Most beautiful public places in cities would be awarded first at State level and then will be shortlisted for award at the National level.
- It will encourage urban local bodies to improve their basic infrastructure and make urban spaces beautiful, sustainable and inclusive.
- Participation in the City Beauty Competition is voluntary.