Current Affairs, TLP-UPSC Mains Answer Writing
What are the sources and impacts of black carbon aerosols on air quality, human health, and the climate, and what measures can be taken to reduce the emissions of black carbon aerosols and mitigate their negative effects? Explain.
वायु गुणवत्ता, मानव स्वास्थ्य और जलवायु पर ब्लैक कार्बन एरोसोल के स्रोत और प्रभाव क्या हैं, और ब्लैक कार्बन एयरोसोल के उत्सर्जन को कम करने और उनके नकारात्मक प्रभावों को कम करने के लिए क्या उपाय किए जा सकते हैं? व्याख्या करें।
Candidates can start the answer with basic idea of black carbon then discuss about its sources and impact also suggest some measures to tackle it.
Black carbon is a component of soot emitted by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, biofuel and biomass. It is a kind of aerosol that is emitted from gas and diesel engines, coal-fired power plants, and other sources that burn fossil fuel.
Sources of black carbon:
- Black carbon is produced both naturally and anthropogenically (out of human activities) by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, biomass, etc.
- The major sources are emissions from diesel engines, cooking stoves, wood burning and forest fires. Household cooking and heating account for 58% of global black carbon emissions.
- The developing world contributes to almost 88% of black carbon emissions as a result of open biomass burning and residential solid fuel combustion.
Some of the key impacts are:
- Air quality: Black carbon particles are a major component of particulate matter in the atmosphere, which can have adverse effects on air quality. Inhaling these particles can cause respiratory problems, cardiovascular disease, and other health issues.
- Human health: Black carbon particles can penetrate deeply into the lungs, leading to inflammation and irritation. This can exacerbate pre-existing respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis. Exposure to black carbon is also associated with an increased risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Climate change: Black carbon aerosols absorb sunlight and heat up the atmosphere, contributing to global warming. They also darken snow and ice, causing it to melt faster, which can lead to sea-level rise and other impacts of climate change.
- Regional air quality and climate impacts: The impact of black carbon aerosols is not uniform and varies regionally. In South Asia, for example, black carbon contributes significantly to air pollution and has been linked to changes in the monsoon system, with impacts on regional climate.
There are several measures that can be taken to reduce the emissions of black carbon aerosols and mitigate their negative effects:
- Promoting clean energy sources: The use of clean energy sources such as solar and wind power can help reduce the use of fossil fuels and limit black carbon emissions.
- Improving fuel quality: The use of cleaner fuels, such as low-sulfur diesel and gasoline, can reduce black carbon emissions from vehicles and industrial processes.
- Encouraging energy efficiency: Energy efficiency measures, such as building insulation and energy-efficient appliances, can reduce the demand for energy and the associated black carbon emissions.
- Implementing clean transportation systems: Public transportation, cycling, and walking can help reduce the use of private vehicles and associated black carbon emissions.
- Regulating industrial processes: Stringent regulations can be put in place to limit black carbon emissions from industrial processes such as brick kilns, steel production, and power plants.
- Promoting sustainable waste management practices: Recycling, composting, and waste-to-energy conversion can reduce the amount of waste that is burned, thus reducing black carbon emissions.
- Raising awareness and educating the public: Educating the public on the negative impacts of black carbon on human health and the environment can help promote behavior change and encourage the adoption of clean practices.
Overall, a comprehensive and multi-sectoral approach is required to reduce black carbon emissions and mitigate their negative effects on air quality, human health, and the climate.
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…