Context: Indian Naval Ship Sumedha reached Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates to participate in Naval Defence Exhibition – NAVDEX 23 and International Defence Exhibition – IDEX 23
About INS SUMEDHA:
- INS Sumedha is the third ship of the indigenously built Saryu class Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels (NOPV)which was commissioned into the Indian Navy in 2014.
- The ship has been designed and built by Goa Shipyard Limited.
- The first INS SUMEDHA was built in Goa and was commissioned in the Indian Navy in 2011.
About NAVDEX 23 and IDEX 23:
- IDEX and NAVDEX, and the International Defense Conference are organized by the Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (ADNEC), in cooperation with the Ministry of Defense and the General Command of the UAE Armed Forces.
- IDEX/NAVDEX takes place biennially.
- The exhibitions showcase the latest technologies and innovations in the global defense sector, support the growth of UAE’s defense industry, and forge new relationships between major international companies.
- IDEX is the only international defense exhibition and conference in the MENA (Middle East and North Africa region) region which includes countries like Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
About India and UAE Defense Relations:
- Desert Eagle II, a ten-day air combat exercise, was held between the air forces of India and UAE.
- The inaugural edition of the Indian & UAE Navy bilateral exercise GULF STAR-1 was conducted in March 2018.
Source: All India Radio
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) What is “Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD)”, sometimes seen in the news? (2018)
- An Israeli radar system
- India’s indigenous anti-missile programme
- An American anti-missile system
- A defense collaboration between Japan and South Korea
Q.2) With reference to Agni-IV Missile, which of the following statements is/are correct? (2014)
- It is a surface-to-surface missile.
- It is fueled by liquid propellant only.
- It can deliver one-ton nuclear warheads about 7500 km away.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1,2, and 3
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…