Environment & Ecology
The Noble’s Helen, recorded from the Namdapha National Park, is disappearing from its previously known ranges in Myanmar, China, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.
About Noble’s Helen Butterfly:
- The Noble’s Helen, closest to Papilio antonio from the Philippines and characterised by a large dorsal white spot, was once common in the montane forest at moderate elevations in northern Thailand.
- This species of swallowtail butterfly has also been reported from the Myanmar, Yunnan and Hubei regions of China, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.
- Butterflies are considered vital indicators of the state of biodiversity and key ecosystem functions.
- Noble’s Helen with a wingspan of 100-120 mm was initially thought to be an aberration of Papilio Helenus, though the former has an extra white spot in the dorsum of the forewing.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Which of the following is not a bird? (2022)
- The Governor of RBI is the Chairman of BBB.
- BBB recommends for the selection of heads for Public Sector Banks.
- BBB helps the Public Sector Banks in developing strategies and capital raising plans.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- Golden Mahseer
- Indian Nightjar
- White Ibis
Q.2) Certain species of which one of the following organisms are well known as cultivators of fungi? (2022)
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…