Context: Union Women and Child Development minister alleged massive irregularities in the utilisation of funds allocated to the state of West Bengal under PMKVY.
About Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Launched in 2015, it is a flagship program of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and implemented by the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- Under PMKVY, training and assessment fees are paid completely by the Government.
- Funding: The scheme is being implemented at the Centre and the State level with a 50:50 allocation of funds and targets with more enhanced involvement of District Skill Committees (DSC).
- Objective: To enable Indian youth to take up industry-relevant skill training that will help them in securing a better livelihood.
- Short Term Training: STT component imparted at PMKVY Training Centres (TC) is expected to benefit candidates of Indian nationality who are either school/college dropouts or unemployed.
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL): It is a skill certification component to enable Indian youth to take on industry-relevant skill certification which will help them to secure a better livelihood.
- Individuals with prior learning experience or skills can register themselves and get assessed and certified under the RPL component of PMKVY.
- It focuses mainly on individuals engaged in unregulated sectors.
About Skill India Mission:
- Skill India Mission is an initiative of the Government of India, launched by the Prime Minister on the 16th of July 2015 with an aim to train over 40 crore people in India in different skills by 2022.
- It includes various initiatives of the government like
- National Skill Development Mission,
- National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, 2015,
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Skill Loan scheme.
Source: Indian Express
Q.1) With reference to Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana, consider the following statements: (2018)
- It is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- It, among other things, will also impart training in soft skills, entrepreneurship, and financial and digital literacy.
- It aims to align the competencies of the unregulated workforce of the country to the National Skill Qualification Framework.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 and 3 only
- 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…