Qaumi Waqf Board Taraqqiati Scheme (QWBTS)
- Implemented by The Ministry of Minority Affairs through the Central Waqf Council (CWC)
- Under this scheme, a dedicated online portal has been developed.
- This dedicated online portal is the Waqf Assets Management System of India (WAMSI) for computerization, digitization of records of Waqf properties and Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping of Waqf properties to prevent encroachment.
- The Waqf property details on WAMSI have been entered by the respective State Waqf Boards (SWBs).
- As per Section 40 of the Waqf Act 1995 (as amended in 2013) the State Waqf Board is empowered to decide any question which arises as to whether a particular property is a Waqf property or not or whether a Waqf is a Sunni Waqf or a Shia Waqf.
- The decision of the Board on a question, unless revoked or modified by the Tribunal, be final.
Central Waqf Council (CWC)
- Protection, Retrieval & E-monitoring of Auqaf under the provision of The Waqf Act
- Proactive role in protection development of Auqaf & to work closely with the State Waqf Boards to improve their functioning.
- It is a statutory body under the Ministry of Minority Affairs.
- It was set up in 1964 as per the provision given in the Waqf Act, 1954 as Advisory Body to the Central Government on matters concerning the working of the Waqf Boards and the due administration of Auqaf.
- The Council has been empowered to advise the Central Government, State Governments and State Waqf Boards.
- It will now issue directives to the boards/ State Government to furnish information to the Council on the performance of the board particularly on their financial performance, survey, revenue records, encroachment of Waqf properties, Annual and Audit report etc
- The 12th Council was constituted in 2019
- The Council consists of Chairperson – Union Minister In charge of Waqf
- Such other members, not exceeding 20 in number, as may be appointed by the Government of India.
- Presently Union Minister of Minority Affairs is the ex-officio Chairperson of the Central Waqf Council.
- To monitor the implementation of the provisions of Waqf (Amendment) Act, 2013 in States and UTs.
- To render legal advice on protection and retrieval of the Waqf Properties and for removal of encroachment etc.
- To implement the Scheme for Development of Urban Waqf Properties & Identification of potential Waqf land for development by National Waqf Development Corporation Ltd.
- To undertake awareness programmes to promote the interest of the Council and to sensitize the Waqf institutions about their new roles and responsibilities.
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…