Science and Technology
Context: Recently, the Centre officially released the National Geospatial Policy of India which allows any private agency to make high-resolution maps.
About Survey of India:
- Survey of India, The National Survey and Mapping Organization of the country under the Department of Science & Technology.
- It is the oldest scientific department of the Indian government.
- It was established in 1767 to help consolidate the Indian territories of the British East India Company.
- Its assigned role as the nation’s Principal Mapping Agency.
- It is headquartered in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- It is India’s principal mapping agency and functions under the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- It provides base maps for expeditious and integrated development of the country by ensuring that all resources contribute to the progress, security, and prosperity of the nation for the present and the future.
- It is headed by the Surveyor-General of India.
Source: THE HINDU
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) The term ‘IndARC’ sometimes seen in the news, is the name of? (2015)
- an indigenously developed radar system inducted into Indian Defense
- India’s satellite to provide services to the countries of the Indian Ocean Rim
- a scientific establishment set up by India in the Antarctic region
- India’s underwater observatory to scientifically study the Arctic region
Q.2) In which of the following areas can GPS technology be used? (2018)
- Mobile phone operations
- Banking operations
- Controlling the power grids
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…