Context – On the 2nd day of City Sherpa meeting of the sixth Urban20 (U20) cycle, which is being held in Ahmedabad, close to 40 delegates visited the World Heritage walled city of Ahmedabad, where a heritage walk was organised for them early in the morning.
- Urban 20 (U20) is an initiative developed in 2017 under the leadership of the Mayor of Buenos Aires and Mayor of Paris, and convened by the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) in collaboration with United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG).
- It was launched on December 12, 2017 at the One Planet Summit in Paris.
- U20 seeks to develop a joint position and collective messages to inform and enrich the discussions of national leaders at the G20 Summit through unique urban perspectives.
- Urban 20 aims to tackle global challenges by leveraging the potential of cities as hubs of diversity and innovation.
- The U20 brings together mayors from G20 cities under a common framework and coordinates a joint position to inform the discussions of national leaders.
- Contributions from the U20 are shared with the G20 Presidency and Heads of State enhancing the role of cities as global economic and political leaders.
- Priority areas for Urban 20 event are as follows:
- Encouraging environmentally responsive behaviour
- Ensuring water security
- Accelerating Climate Finance
- Leveraging ‘local’ potential and identity
- Reinventing urban governance and planning frameworks
- Catalysing digital urban futures
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…