Indian Polity & Constitution
Context: INS Trikand will be participating in the International Maritime Exercise/ Cutlass Express 2023 (IMX/CE-23) which will be held in the Gulf region.
About International Maritime Exercise/ Cutlass Express 2023 (IMX/CE-23):
- IMX/CE-23 is one of the largest multinational maritime exercises in the world.
- This is Indian Navy’s maiden IMX participation.
- The International Maritime Exercise is coordinated by the US-led Combined Maritime Forces (CMF).
- Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) – a 34-nation naval group that seeks to promote security, stability, and prosperity.
- India became an associate member of CMF in 2022.
- It marks the second occasion where an Indian Naval ship is participating in an exercise conducted by the CMF.
- Earlier, INS Trikand had participated in the CMF-led Operation Sea Sword 2 in 2022.
About INS Trikand:
- ‘INS Trikand’ is a Stealth Frigate.
- It was commissioned into the Indian Navy in 2013.
- It is the last of the three “Follow On Talwar Class” frigates built in the Russian Federation.
- The other ships of the class: INS Teg and INS Tarkash
- INS Trikand carries a state-of-the-art combat suite which includes the supersonic BRAHMOS missile system, advanced Surface to Air missiles Shtil, upgraded A190 medium range gun, Electro-optical 30 mm Close-in Weapon System, Anti-Submarine weapons such as torpedoes and rockets and an advanced Electronic Warfare system.
- The weapons and sensors are integrated through a Combat Management System ‘Trebovanie-M’, which enables the ship to simultaneously neutralize multiple surfaces, sub-surface and air threats.
- The ship also incorporates innovative features to reduce radar, magnetic, and acoustic signatures, which have earned this class of ships the sobriquet of ‘Stealth’ frigates.
- The ship is powered by four gas turbines and is capable of speeds in excess of 30 knots.
- The ship can carry an integrated Kamov 31 helicopter which is best suited for airborne early warning roles.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following in respect of the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS): (2017)
- Inaugural IONS was held in India in 2015 under the chairmanship of the Indian Navy.
- IONS is a voluntary initiative that seeks to increase maritime cooperation among navies of the littoral states of the Indian Ocean Region.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Q.2) With reference to the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS), consider the following statements : (2018)
- IRNSS has three satellites in geostationary and four satellites in geosynchronous orbits.
- IRNSS covers entire India and about 5500 sq. km beyond its borders.
- India will have its own satellite navigation system with full global coverage by the middle of 2019.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…