Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains III –Science & Technology
- The South Central Railway (SCR) has started supplying Fog Pass devices, a GPS-based portable equipment, to loco pilots.
- During the winter, when visibility is low due to fog, loco pilots face a tough challenge of ensuring safe operations of trains. They are forced to restrict the speed of the train as they are unable to sight signals
- The entire data of a particular section such as location of signals, stations, level-crossing gates, warning boards, curves and gradients, are mapped with GPS and fed into the device.
- A fog pass device displays details of at least three oncoming landmarks along with distance from the current location. An audio alert is given, around 500 metres before any approaching landmark
- Fog device helps in alerting the crew about upcoming landmarks or structures, during foggy weather, through audio and visual indications.