Gandhi prize: Portugal sets up the prize
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Culture
- Portugal would launch the prize in order to promote Gandhi’s ideals.
- Every year, the prize would be inspired by Gandhi’s thoughts and quotes.
- The first edition of the prize would be dedicated to animal welfare. Gandhi said “the greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated”
About National Committee for the Commemoration Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th Birth Anniversary
- The National Committee was constituted for commemorating the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi at the national and international, presided by the President of India
- This Committee includes Vice-President, Prime Minister, Chief Ministers of all states, representatives from across the political spectrum, Gandhians, thinkers, and eminent persons from all walks of life.
- The Committee also has nine international members, including two former Secretaries-General of the United Nations – Mr Kofi Annan and Mr Ban Ki-Moon.
- Portuguese Prime Minister is the only foreign Prime Minister to be a part of the committee.