National Population Register (NPR): West Bengal Opts out of the exercise
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Governance, Federalism
- The objective of the NPR,is to create a comprehensive identity database of every usual resident in the country.
- Usual resident is defined as a person who has resided in a local area for the past six months or more or a person who intends to reside in that area for the next six months or more
- The database will contain demographic as well as biometric particulars.
- It is mandatory for every usual resident of India to register in the NPR.
- Unlike the NRC, the NPR will also include foreigners living in India.
- The NPR is being developed under the principles of the Citizenship Act of 1955, and the Citizenship Rules set out in 2003
- When was it recently conducted?
- The data for National Population Register was collected in 2010 alongwith the houselisting phase of Census of India 2011.
- It has been decided to update the National Population Register along with the Houselisting phase of Census 2021 during April to September 2020 in all the States/UTs except Assam.
- Criticism: About the government’s capability to manage and protect this information.