GST Council: Votes for first time to tax all lotteries at 28%
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains III – Economy; GS-II- Federalism
- GST Council broke its tradition of taking decision by consensus and for first time voted for a proposal to tax all lotteries at a uniform rate at 28% (21-7 in favour)
Do You Know?
- In the first eight months of this financial year, only about 50% of GST collection targets (₹6,63,343 crore) and 60% of compensation cess collection targets have been achieved.
- The GST Council is a constitutional body established under Article 279A of Indian Constitution
- The GST Council is chaired by the Union Finance Minister.
- Its other members are the Union State Minister of Revenue or Finance and Ministers in-charge of Finance or Taxation of all the States.
- Voting Rights
- Centre: One third of total votes cast
- States: Two-thirds of the total votes cast (Each state, big or small, will have equal vote)
- For any proposal to be cleared by the council, it has to get 75 per cent of the vote.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :