Mahadayi Project: Goa gets relief
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains II- Federalism
- Union Environment Ministry kept in suspension its letter issued to Karnataka which had stated no environmental clearance was required for Kalasa Banduri Project.
About Kalasa Banduri project
- The project involves diverting water from Mahadayi river, the lifeline of Goa, into the Malaprabha river.
- The Kalasa Banduri project is aimed at providing drinking water to three important districts of north Karnataka — Belagavi, Gadag and Dharwad — which go parched in summer due to acute water scarcity.
- Mahadayi river originates from a cluster of 30 springs at Bhimgad in the Western Ghats in the Belgaum district of Karnataka. Then it enters Goa and finally drains in Arabian sea.
- Goa state capital Panaji lies on the banks of Mandovi
- Mahadayi Water Tribunal (MWT) Award in 2018:Karnataka has been allocated 13.5tmcft of water, Goa has been 24tmcft while Maharashtra has been allocated 1.3tmcft.