Land Boundary Agreement
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains II – International Relations
- More than four years after the historic Land Boundary Agreement (LBA) between India and Bangladesh, a report released by civil rights organisation – Masum- on the situation in erstwhile enclaves states that protest and resistance have become an essential part of their survival in India.
- The report says that the condition of the people is far from what they had imagined. They are yet to get land records and nothing has been done for providing them employment
- The report calls for a comprehensive survey should be undertaken to identify and assimilate the people whose names have been left out of the headcount previously, and all the benefits of being a citizen in India should be extended to them
- LBA settles land boundary dispute which dates back to colonial times as India transfers 111 border enclaves to Bangladesh in exchange for 51 enclaves.
- It also settles the question of citizenship for over 50,000 people in these enclaves.
For more details, refer: https://iasbaba.com/2015/05/big-picture-india-bangladesh-land-boundary-agreement/
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :