Appointment of judges
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains II–Judiciary
- 213 names recommended for appointment to various High Courts are pending with the government/Supreme Court Collegium
- Supreme Court has said in a judicial order, at least the names on which the Supreme Court Collegium, the High Courts and the governments had agreed upon should be appointed within six months.
- The High Courts are functioning at nearly 50% of their sanctioned judicial strength. Of a total 1,079 judges sanctioned in the High Courts, there are 410 vacancies.
- There were three SC judgments which made it crystal clear that the government had no option but to make the appointments if the collegium reiterated them after the government returned the names with objections.
- On the Supreme Court collegium clearing the recommendees, the Union Law Ministry has to put up within three weeks the recommendations to the Prime Minister who would advise the President on the appointment. However, no time limit has been prescribed for action by the Prime Minister and the President.