Part of: GS Prelims
- MattuGulla is a variety of brinjal that has Geographical Indication (GI) tag
- Known for its unique taste, MattuGulla is grown in Mattu, Kaipunjal and Uliyargoli villages of Udupi district inKarnataka
- About 200 farmers cultivate this rare variety of brinjal on about 120 acres of land from October to June.
- The speciality of MattuGulla, besides its taste, is that it has less seed and more pulp
- An export network to UAE is being planned so that MattuGulla gets exported. As a result,the demand for it will increase and farmers will get good price for it.