Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III- Cyber Security
- The Union Home Ministry has sent an alert to all States warning them about the vulnerability of the Android operating system to a bug called ‘StrandHogg.’
- StrandHogg allows real-time malware applications to pose as genuine applications and access user data of all kind.
- This malware can then potentially listen to their conversations, access photo album, read/send messages, make calls, record conversations and get login credentials to various accounts.
- Pop-ups asking for permission to send notifications, messages etc., are one of the main entry points for ‘StrandHogg’ to launch the attack.
About Indian Cybercrime Coordination Centre (I4C) scheme
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has rolled out a scheme ‘Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C)’ which is a 7-Pronged Scheme to combat cyber crime in the country, in a coordinated and effective manner.
- Components of The I4C Scheme
- National Cybercrime Threat Analytics Unit (TAU)
- National Cybercrime Reporting
- Platform for Joint Cybercrime Investigation Team
- National Cybercrime Forensic Laboratory (NCFL) Ecosystem
- National Cybercrime Training Centre (NCTC)
- Cybercrime Ecosystem Management Unit
- National Cyber Research and Innovation Centre