Rohtang Pass: Strategic tunnel under it
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains I- Geography
- The Union Cabinet has decided to name the Strategic Tunnel under Rohtang Pass after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Rohtang Pass is a high mountain pass on the eastern PirPanjal Range of the Himalayas. It connects the Kullu Valley with the Lahaul and Spiti Valleys of Himachal Pradesh.
- The 8.8-kilometre long tunnel is the world’s longest tunnel above an altitude of 3,000 metres. It will reduce the distance between Manali and Leh by 46 kilometres.
- It will provide all weather connectivity to remote border areas of Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh which otherwise remained cut off from the rest of the country for about six months during winters.
- The decision to construct tunnel was taken during A.B.Vajpayee’s time and it is nearing completion.