Sahitya Academy: Shashi Tharoor wins Akademi’s 2019 award for English
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Culture
- Sahitya Akademi award established in 1954, is a literary honour that is conferred annually by Sahitya Akademi, India’s National Academy of letters.
- Award is presented to the most outstanding books of literary merit published in any of the twenty-four major Indian languages recognized by the Akademi (including English).
- Sahitya Akademi award is the second highest literary honour by the Government of India, after Jananpith award.
- The Award in the form of an engraved copper-plaque, and cash prize of Rs. 1,00,000/-
- The author must be of Indian Nationality.Indian film-maker Satyajit Ray is the designer of the plaque awarded by the Sahitya Akademi.