Uighur Muslims: Indonesian Muslims protest China’s treatment of Uighurs
Part of: GS Prelims
- Nearly thousand Muslims marched to the Chinese Embassy in Indonesia’s capital to protest China’s treatment of its Uighur Muslims
Value addition For Prelims:
- Uigurs, are a minority Turkic ethnic group originating from and culturally affiliated with the general region of Central and East Asia.
- The Uyghurs are recognized as native to the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of the People’s Republic of China.
- China rejects the idea of them being an indigenous group
- Since 2016, it is estimated that over a million Uyghurs have been detained in Xinjiang re-education camps.(UN)
- International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), the main feature of the camps is to ensure adherence to Chinese Communist Party ideology.