US Space Force: China raises objection
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains II- International Relations
- 2020 National Defence Authorization Actwas signed byU.S. President Donald Trump,which creates a new branch of the U.S. military – Space Force
- The Space Force will be the sixth formal force of the U.S. military, after the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard
- The new branch will be stood up over the next 18 months. The Space Force would comprise around 16,000 Air Force and civilian personnel.
- It is not intended to put troops into orbit, but will protect US assets – such as the hundreds of satellites used for communication and surveillance.
- China has criticised US of turning the cosmos into a battlefield and pursuing the weaponisation of outer space