Bojjannakonda: Buddhist site in Andhra Pradesh
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains –I – History, Art & Culture
- Bojjannakonda and Lingalametta are twin Buddhist monasteries dating back to the 3rd century BC.
- These sites have seen three forms of Buddhism —
- The Theravada period when Lord Buddha was considered a teacher;
- The Mahayana, where Buddhism was more devotional; and
- Vajrayana, where Buddhist tradition was more practised as Tantra and in esoteric form
- The site is famous for many votive stupas, rock-cut caves, brick-built edifices, early historic pottery, and Satavahana coins that date back to the 1st century AD.