Data Protection Bill: JPC to invite views from all stakeholders
Part of: GS Prelims Polity and GS Mains III– Privacy
- The Joint Parliamentary Committee on Personal Data Protection Bill will throw open its doors for all stakeholders to express objections and point out loopholes in the proposed legislation, the panel decided at its first meeting held
From Prelims Point of view
Personal Data Protection Bill 2019
- The Personal Data Protection Bill 2019 (PDP Bill 2019) was tabled in the Indian Parliament by the Minister of Electronics and Information Technology
- The Bill covers mechanisms for protection of personal data and proposes the setting up of a Data Protection Authority of India for the same.
- Some key provisions the 2019 Bill provides for which the 2018 draft Bill did not such as that the central government can exempt any government agency from the Bill and the Right to Be Forgotten has been included
- In July 2017, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology set up a committee to study issues related to data protection. The committee was chaired by retired Supreme Court judge Justice B. N. Srikrishna.