Bru-Reang Refugee Crisis: Home Minister presides over signing of Historic Agreement to end the Bru-Reang Refugee Crisis
Part of: GS Prelims History and GS Mains I–Society
- Union Minister for Home Affairs, Shri Amit Shah presided over the signing of an agreement between Government of India, Governments of Tripura and Mizoram and Bru-Reang representatives
- This historic agreement is in line with PM Modi’s vision for the progress of the North East and the empowerment of the people of the region.
- In 1997, following ethnic tension, around 5,000 families comprising around 30,000 Bru-Reang tribals were forced to flee Mizoram and seek shelter in Tripura. These people were housed in temporary camps at Kanchanpur, in North Tripura.
- Since 2010, Government of India has been making sustained efforts to permanently rehabilitate these refugees.
- The Union government has been assisting the two State governments for taking the care of the refugees.
From Prelims Point of view:
- Bru -Reang are one of the 21 scheduled tribes.
- The Bru can be found Tripura ,Mizoram and Assam
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :