Farmers’ Innovation Fund: To be set up by ICAR
Part of: GS Prelims and GS II- Governance
- The fund will be used to scientifically validate, scale up and propagate the innovations of progressive farmers
- The intention was to link farmers and farming with science and to ensure that their farm practices were science-based
- Innovations of farmers were already being documented by the Krishi Vigyan Kendras, however, the additional system would encourage farmers to continue their work.
About The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- It is an autonomous organisation under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India.
- The Council is the apex body for co-ordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences in the entire country.
- With 101 ICAR institutes and 71 agricultural universities spread across the country this is one of the largest national agricultural systems in the world.