Pharma City in Telangana
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains II- Competitive Federalism; GS-III- Economy
- Pharma City project planned by Telangana Government as world’s biggest pharma cluster near Hyderabad has obtained the National Investment and Manufacturing Zone (NIMZ) approval and the environmental clearance for it from the Centre
- Basic infrastructure at the Pharma City like setting up sub-stations and laying roads has already commenced. The government would have to work on establishing an effluent treatment plant to make it a pollution-free project.
- NIMZs are one of the important instruments of National Manufacturing Policy, 2011.
- Objective: To increase the share of manufacturing to 25 percent of the country’s GDP while also creating 100 million jobs over the next decade
- NIMZs have been conceived as large integrated industrial townships with state of-the-art infrastructure; land use on the basis of zoning; clean and energy efficient technology; necessary social infrastructure; skill development facilities, etc.
- To enable the NIMZ to function as a self-government and autonomous body, it will be declared by the State Government as a Industrial Township under Article 243 Q (I) (c) of the Constitution
- These NIMZs would be managed by a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) which would ensure master planning of the zone; pre-clearances for setting up the industrial units to be located within the zone and undertake such other functions