Tigersharks : India is placing Sukhoi jets in South India
Part of: GS Prelims –Polity and GS-II- Internal Security
- Air force commissioned the 222 squadron, also known as ‘Tigersharks’, for their Thanjavur base Tamil Nadu
- It will play a key role in keeping China’s growing clout in the Indian Ocean region
- The squadron has Sukhoi-30 carrying the BrahMos cruise missile.
From Prelims point of view:
- A twinjet multirole air superiority fighter developed by Russia
- Integrates Indian systems and avionics as well as French and Israeli sub-systems.
- Joint venture between India & Russia.
- Brahmos is named on the rivers Brahmaputra and Moskva.
- air to surface missile with a flight range of around 300 km.
India’s entry into the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) has extended the range of the BRAHMOS missile to reach 450 km-600km, a shade above its current MTCR capped range of 300 km.
- Brahmos is the heaviest weapon to be deployed on Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft, with a weight of 2.5 tonnes.
- Brahmos is a multiplatform i.e it can be launched from land, air, and sea.
- It operates on the “Fire and Forgets” principle i.e it does not require further guidance after launch.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :