Convention on Migratory Species
Part of: GS Prelims –Environment and GS-III- Conservation
- India will host the 13th Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS COP13)
- A major United Nations wildlife conference
- Theme“Migratory species connect the planet and together we welcome them home”.
From Prelims Point of View
- Signed in 1979 in Germany and is known as the Bonn Convention
- Environmental treaty of the UN that provides a global platform for the conservation and sustainable use of migratory animals and their habitats
- Only global convention specialising in the conservation of migratory species, their habitats and migration routes.
- Appendix I of the Convention lists ‘Threatened Migratory Species’.
- Appendix II lists ‘Migratory Species requiring international cooperation’