Part of: GS Prelims –Environment and GS-III- Conservation
Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
- West Bengal, Odisha and Assam — account for about half of both human and elephant deaths in the overall human-elephant conflict in the country,.
- Past five years 2,361 human deaths were recorded in elephant attacks across the country ,48% fatalities were from these three States,
- Unnatural deaths of elephants (mainly due to poaching, train accidents, electrocution and poisoning), 53% occurred in these three States alone.
Baba’s Value addition:
The Indian elephant
- One of three extant recognised subspecies of the Asian elephant and native to mainland Asia
- Listed as Endangered on the IUCN Red List
- the wild population has declined by at least 50% since the 1930s to 1940s
- Threatened by habitat loss, degradation and fragmentation.
- Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF)flagship elephant conservation programme — Project Elephant.
- Launched in 1992, Centrally-sponsored scheme
- Primarily aimed at protecting elephant, their habitats and corridors
- Addressing issues of man-animal conflict and welfare of domesticated elephants.
- Recent years project has run aground.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :