India, Maldives agree to take on terrorism, radicalisation
Home Minister Amit Shah met his Maldivian counterpart :
- Discussed bilateral cooperation in the fields of counter-terrorism and counter-radicalisation, among other things.
From Prelims Point of View:
- India first to recognize the Maldives after its independence in 1965
- India established its mission at Malé in 1972.
- Maldives archipelago comprising 1200 coral Islands lies next to key shipping lanes which ensure uninterrupted energy supplies to countries like China, Japan, and India.
- More than 97% of India’s international trade by volume and 75% by value passes through the region.
- Maldives member of SAARC