Scientists oppose study into ‘qualities’ of indigenous cow
Part of: GS Prelims –Sci & Tech and GS-III- conservation
- Many scientists have petitioned the Department of Science & Technology (DST) to withdraw a proposal that solicits research into indigenous cows.
- The research programme appeared to endorse the belief that indigenous cows had “special” and “unique” qualities
- Possibility of money being “wasted to investigate imaginary qualities derived from religious scriptures”.
- Programme did not encourage fair comparison with other breeds of cows around the world or other bovine species within India
- Proposal was drafted unscientifically
From Prelims Point of View:
- Government has recently unveiled a programme to research on ‘indigenous’ cows. (SUTRA PIC or Scientific Utilisation Through Research Augmentation-Prime Products from Indigenous Cows) led by the Department of Science and Technology
- To perform scientific research on complete characterisation of milk and milk products derived from Indian indigenous cows
- Scientific research on nutritional and therapeutic properties of curd and ghee prepared from indigenous breeds of cows by traditional methods; development of standards for traditionally processed dairy products of Indian-origin cow
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :