Mahadayi Water Row
Part of: GS Prelims- Geography and GS-II- Federalism
- Centre issues notification on sharing the waters of inter-State Mahadayi among Karnataka, Goa, and Maharashtra
- Mahadayi Water Disputes Tribunal in its 2018 order allocated 13.42 tmcft of water from the Mahadayi to Karnataka and 24tmcft to Goa while Maharashtra was allocated 1.3tmcft.
- Of the 13.42 tmcft of water allocated for Karnataka, 5.5 tmcft is meant for use within the river basin and for diversion to the Malaprabha reservoir, and around 8 tmcft for power generation.
- The notification also said the demand by Karnataka for diversion of 5.27 tmcft of water of Mahadayi river to the Supa reservoir of the Kali hydropower project for power generation has been rejected.
Prelims Value addition
- Mahadayi or Mhadei or Mandovi, the west-flowing river, originates in Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary (Western Ghats), Belagavi district of Karnataka
- The Mahadayi Water Disputes Tribunal was set up in 2010. Goa, Karnataka and Maharashtra are parties to the tribunal.
- Kalasa Banduri project is undertaken by the Government of Karnataka that involves diversion of Mahadayi river water to the Malaprabha river, so as to improve the drinker water supply in Northern Karnataka
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :